Tuesday, January 16, 2007

We did a bunch of cleaning around here and I found this old notebook that dates back before I met Rich. I was dating a guy who had a cute teenage daughter named Mimi. She was so sweet but had such a rough life with a mom who couldn't function without a man - even if that man (or men) beat her to a pulp. She lived in a tent one whole summer - she confessed to me one time. Her dad was an alcoholic (ah, the reason I dumped him) so he was no help.

Mimi had few good influences in her life and I sure tried to be one of them. I wrote this with her in mind after I broke it off with her dad.

Last I heard from Mimi, she was in nursing school, paid for by her Aunt and Uncle. I hope her life is happy now.


A Poem for Mimi

Walking through a world
of confusion and chaos
Along a path scattered
with broken promises and hearts
I found a rose about to bloom
It's fragile petals so soft
and easily damaged
It's beauty hiding a soul
needing tenderness and care.
I loved that rose and protected it
Cradling it with my hands and heart.
Then with all my love and work inside it
I released my hands.
Just as the rose began to bloom
and a tear fell from my eye
to nourish it.

3 comments:

enN2sp said...

That is a very good poem!

I hope she's doing well.

sela said...

Oh my gosh! Love it! The tear part is my favorite.

Maybe she'll read this someday and know it's from you.

alli-gal said...

Do you have any way of contacting her? If I were her, I'd be thrilled to hear from you now.

Your poetry is beautiful. I love writing...whether it's poetry or just my thoughts...I have journals and notebooks all over the house. I write about everything.