Tuesday, September 20, 2011

9/11 Memorial in Indianapolis, Indiana

I've been watching the 9/11 Memorial go up on the north side of the Government Center in downtown Indianapolis. There's been lots of construction around it. It was done and ready to be unveiled for the 9/11 anniversary. Since then, there have been many visitors to the memorial. I hadn't made my way over to see the memorial, though I could see the eagle and beams from the walkway leading from the Government Center North building.

Today, I decided to wander on over there before heading to my car. There were a few people around, but not the crowd that had been there. It was pretty moving. To think the beams that now stand at this memorial were part of the World Trade Center is pretty awesome. The carved eagle, atop the tallest beam, was designed and built by an Indianapolis fire fighter.  As I walked up to the beams, I swear I can still smell smoke on them. It was interesting. I wasn't sure if it was my imagination or if I really smelled that "fire" smell.

Of course I had my camera in hand and snapped a few shots to show you what you're missing and and inspire you to make a trip downtown. The massive marble wall contains a quote from George Bush, President when the 9/11 attacks took place, and quotes from other people as well.
The beams are visible from the Government Center North building. Here you see both beams and the Government Center in the background.
The eagle is a beautiful piece of artwork. I was able to get a few shots to show the detail.
These men were sitting on one of the marble benches at the memorial. They both stood up and looked at the beams and quotes on the wall. The man in the blue t-shirt put his hand on the beam next to him and patted it several times. I knew he was thinking of all those lives lost. As he walked away, he wiped his eyes with his handkerchief. I wanted to say something to him, to let him know I felt the same way, but I left him alone and let him have that moment to himself.
As I was looking up the beam to the eagle, the sun slipped behind the beam. I thought to myself, even in this terrible tragedy and when you think the worst has happened, there is always light and hope. This beam and eagle represent that to me.
I'm proud our city can share this with our visitors and the people of Indiana. If you haven't made plans to stop by and see the memorial, you definately should. It's just east of West Street on Ohio, next to the fire station and right on the canal.

No comments: