Saturday, September 03, 2011

Don't Over-Sweetie Me


So I'm at the McDonalds drive-thru in Fishers for lunch this week. I am greeted by the automated, "Hi would you like to order a fruit smoothie, order when ready." I place my order. The actual person working repeats my order and says, "is everything on the screen correct, sweetie?"

Sweetie? Ok, I suppose that's cute. Yes, I reply. "Ok sweetie, pull up to the first window" she says.

That's sweetie #2. I'm on the verge of being over-sweetied at this point. I want people to be nice and I believe 100%+ in great customer service, but this sweetie business, it seems a bit over the top to me.

So, I drive on up to the window. She greets me, "That's $3.60 sweetie." Oh. No. She. Didn't.

A third sweetie. Quit it. Seriously.

I pay her and anxiously wait to see....will she?????

Oh you betya. "Thanks sweetie, pull on up."

QUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT IT!!!!!!!!! No more sweetie. So I couldn't resist. I said, "thanks a bunch sweetie, see ya next time."

I'm sure she didn't catch my sarcasm but she needed to.

2 comments:

Jean said...

ha...I did a post about this very thing not long ago. Whatever happened to 'ma'am' and 'sir'?

Andrea said...

I don't mind *a* sweetie, but multiple sweeties just goes too far.

Chik-fil-a overuses "my pleasure" - have you noticed? Any time you say Thank You, they must be trained to say, "my pleasure." So, I always over thank them just so they have to "my pleasure" me to death. hehehehe!!!!! Maybe that should be my next blog post???