Saturday, August 04, 2007

Tonight's science lesson is brought to you by:
ANDREA'S MIDNIGHT PHOTOGRAPHY
Have you ever wondered what the phases of the moon are called? Well wonder no more. The 14 days leading up to a full moon are referred to as the WAXING phase. When the Moon is a Waxing Crescent, the dark side is to your left and the bright side is to your right. Easy enough, right?

After 14 days of waxing, you're graced with a wonderous full moon (as we saw earlier this week). Then, the whole process is reversed and the Moon appears to decrease in size.
After about 3 days of vivid fullness and glory, the moon slowly begins to go dark on the right side, while the left side stays just about as bright as it was when it was full. This is the known as the WANING phase.
---------

So, it's midnight and I remember I left my camera in the car. I head out the door to get it. I look up in the sky to check out the moon (as I always do) and there in all it's glory is a beautiful, deep RED waning moon. I was able to get a few good pictures of it. Here they are:


If you're not paying attention to the moon and all of it's glorious phases, you're really missing out on some cool stuff! Check it out when you're out on a crystal clear night. Cause......it's a beauty!

4 comments:

boneman said...

Y'know, I was wondering when the moon was going to finally admit up to waxing.
I mean, c'mon. Not a glimmer of hair all these years.....
Y'just knew....

sela said...

Good one, boneman!!

Great pictures!

Andrea said...

Bo, that's pretty dang funny!

alli-gal said...

I SOOOOOO wish I had your camera!!!!