Saturday, July 05, 2008

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!
(I wish I took this picture!)

Magic Man and I went to the Carmel fireworks tonight. They have this little Carmelfest every year and cap it off with fireworks on the 4th. The display is pretty good, if you're ever down here on the 4th, they are worth a look-see.

We came home though, and saw the Boston Pops with REAL fireworks. Wow!!! Ok Carmel pales in comparison (naturally).
The Boston Pops played a Pavarotti song that I absolutely love. I remember discovering this when I worked at BMG, exploring all kinds of music (for a buck a CD - ah those were the days). This is an Aria by Puccini from the play Turandot sung by Pavarotti in Italian. You don't need to know the words to hear and understand the emotion of the song. I've loved it since the first time I heard it. Why wasn't I smart enough to go witness such talent when he was alive???
I love the look he gives after he sings the very last note. He takes a breath, furrows his brow and pulls his shoulders up and forward slightly. I just wonder what he was thinking?? Maybe "that was my best performance ever" or "I'm so sick of singing that song!" Who knows. I love it!


English Translation of "Nessun Dorma"
Nobody shall sleep!... Nobody shall sleep!
Even you, o Princess,
in your cold room,
watch the stars,
that tremble with love and with hope.
But my secret is hidden within me,
my name no one shall know...
No!...No!...
On your mouth I will tell it when the light shines.
And my kiss will dissolve the silence that makes you mine!...
(No one will know his name and we must, alas, die.)
Vanish, o night!
Set, stars! Set, stars!
At dawn, I will win! I will win! I will win!

2 comments:

*Jen* said...

This may be a stupid question, but that picture of the fireworks is fake, right? That isn't from the Carmel show is it?

We saw fireworks on PU's campus and they were excellent. Some where so huge it almost took over the sky it seemed like. It was a great display.

Andrea said...

Nope that pic is from the net, it was called International Fireworks so....I guess it's not from around here!